Independent MLA Sheikh Abdul Rashid was on Wednesday marshalled after he disrupted the proceedings in Jammu and Kashmir Assembly demanding a statement from the government over the arrest of Syed Shabir Ahmad Shah, a Muslim leader in Jammu.
As the House assembled on Wednesday morning, Rasheed sought a statement from the government on why Shah has been arrested and booked under Public Safety Act (PSA). However, Speaker Kavinder Gupta paid no heed to the MLA’s plea and proceeded with the Question Hour.
“Why is the government afraid of making a statement? Why has Syed Shabir Ahmad Shah been booked under PSA? Was it a crime to hold fateha khawani for Mufti Mohammad Sayeed (after his death)? Why are the Samba killers and those of Ishtiyaq Chowdhary and Zahid not booked under PSA?” Rasheed asked.
- Kashmiri students at AMU being harassed: J&K MLA
- J-K: MLA Sheikh Rashid boycotts assembly proceedings, deputy speaker requests him to return
- Engineer Rashid marshalled out of J-K Legislative Assembly
- 100 days of Valley ferment: Over 400 detained under PSA
- Ruckus in J-K Assembly over hanging of Afzal Guru
- Chaos in J-K assembly,2 MLAs marshalled out
The speaker warned Rasheed to take his seat or “I will have not option but to have you marshalled out”. The Independent MLA from Langate was joined by National Conference and Congress members who too demanded a statement from the government.
CPI(M) MLA Mohammad Yousuf Tarigami, while supporting the demand for a statement, asked the members from all parties not to communalise the situation. Several opposition MLAs said the Speaker cannot stop the members from raising issues concerning the people of the state.