Three Lashkar-e-Toiba militants hiding in a three-storey house were killed on Thursday in an ongoing encounter in North Kashmir’s Hajin area.
On Thursday morning, Army’s 13 Rashtriya Rifles and Special Operation Group of Police launched a combing operation in Khosa Mollah locality of Hajin town. As the Army and police were combing the area, militants opened fire on the troops. Officials said militants were hiding in a three-storey house. The house and its adjoining houses were also sealed.
Defense spokesman said that three militants were killed in the operation. ”Three AK 47 rifles and one UBGL was recovered from the encounter site,” he said.
- J&K: One militant killed, two managed to escape encounter site in Pulwama, clarifies police
- J-K: 2 LeT militants killed in encounter in Kulgam
- J&K: Army soldier killed after being abducted on way home for Eid, another in gunbattle
- Three militants shot in Srinagar, police car runs over youth
- Jammu and Kashmir: Three militants killed in encounter with security forces; civilian dies in clashes
- J&K: Decapitated body of abducted man found in Hajin
Deputy Inspector General of Police North Kashmir Gareeb Das said that operation was launched on specific information about the presence of militants.
DIG Das said that from past many days they had a lead about the presence of militants in the area so operation was launched. “There is possibility that two to three militants could be in the house,” he said.
The DIG said that the militants are of foreign origin and affiliated with the Lashkar-e-Toiba.
“Bandipore area was militancy free district, but from past few months, some militants were sighted in the area. Army, police and the CRPF have been tracking the militants,’’ he said.
DIG Das , however didn’t reveal the identities of the militants.
“Only after operation will be over, we will be able to say who these militants are,” he said.
As the operation was going on, local villagers took to streets and pelted stones on the security forces. Police lathi-charged the protesters in an effort to disperse them.