scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Thursday, September 16, 2021

Jharkhand: NHRC finds allegations of ‘fake surrender of naxals’ to be true

"Prima facie, the allegations were found to be true. The probe report has been sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs and also the state government. Further action would be taken following their comments," said Dattu.

Written by Prashant Pandey | Ranchi |
Updated: September 8, 2016 6:32:41 pm
National Human Rights Commission, Population and corruption a problem for good governance, Over population in India, Corruption in India, HL Dattu, Seminar on Good governance in India, Good governance, development and human rights, Former Chief Justiceof India HL Dattu, India news, Latest news, national news, NHRC Chairperson Justice HL Dattu

National Human Rights Commission (NHRC) Chairperson Justice H L Dattu on Thursday said that the allegations with respect to the fake surrender of innocent youth posing as naxals in Jharkhand were found to be prima facie true in its probe and the report of the same has been sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs and the state government for comments.

“Prima facie, the allegations were found to be true. The probe report has been sent to the Ministry of Home Affairs and also the state government. Further action would be taken following their comments,” said Dattu.

The case, pertaining to stage-managing of fake ‘surrender’ of well over hundred ‘naxal-operatives’ in 2011-12, had come to light in 2014. An FIR was also registered in this regard in March 2014. The state government had later recommended CBI inquiry into the case. But nothing moved forward. The NHRC also took cognisance of the matter and got a probe done by its own division.

It is alleged that CRPF, state police and military intelligence officials had connived to boost the surrender figures by promising jobs to unsuspecting youths and making them pose as naxal-operatives.

The Chairperson also said that the Commission has given the state CID three months to complete its investigation and submit a report before it in connection with the Palamu encounter in which 12 people, including minor children, were killed in June 2015. The NHRC, however, has not recommended any compensation so far in the case.

Dattu said that the state government had sent an interim report on the matter and, subsequently, additional information was sought. “The state has requested three months time, which we thought was reasonable, for submitting the report. The time has been granted. Once that report is filed, we will take further action,” said the Chairperson.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement