scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Sunday, June 20, 2021

Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das, minister Saryu Rai acquitted in 2008 assault and riot case

The case was registered against the duo in 2008 at Bariatu-Gonda police station in the city in connection with a protest march they had taken out against the government.

By: Express News Service | Ranchi |
Updated: January 21, 2016 7:57:58 pm

Jharkhand CM Raghubar Das, and his senior ministerial colleague Saryu Rai were Thursday acquitted by magisterial court in Ranchi, in a case of rioting, unlawful assembly and obstructing and assaulting public servant in discharge of duty. The case was registered against the duo in 2008 at Bariatu-Gonda police station in the city in connection with a protest march they had taken out against the government.

Das and Rai, Minister for Parliamentary Affairs and Public Distribution System, reached the court of Judicial Magistrate N K Vishwakarma this afternoon, where the latter pronounced the judgement immediately. Earlier last week, Das and Rai had recorded their statements before the court in this case.

An Assistant Public Prosecutor, representing the state confirmed the order. “The court has acquitted both primarily on the ground of no evidence against them. The prosecution had produced five witnesses in the matter,” he said.

[related-post]

Ranvijay Kumar Singh, counsel representing Das, said, “The court has acquitted them in the case. The defence had not produced any witnesses. The duo had appeared before the court last week to record their statements in the case.”

Immediately after being acquitted, Das and Rai set out for their other official programmes. Das, in pursuance of his newly launched Yojana Banao Abhiyaan had gone to Lohardaga district earlier in the day and was headed to Jamshedpur.

On May 19, 2008, an FIR was lodged at Bariatu-Gonda police station on a complaint lodged by the then Block Development Officer (Ormanjhi), Surjit Kumar Singh against Das and Rai, both of whom were BJP MLAs, at that point.“The allegation was that Das and Rai had led a mob of around 1,000 people in contravention of the prohibitory orders in place and broke through the barricading of the police, besides assaulting them. The incident had occurred at Hot Lips Chowk in the city,” said Singh. He added that only two persons were named in the FIR.

“The allegation was that Das and Rai had led a mob of around 1,000 people in contravention of the prohibitory orders in place and broke through the barricading of the police, besides assaulting them. The incident had occurred at Hot Lips Chowk in the city,” said Singh. He added that only two persons were named in the FIR.

The FIR was registered under Indian Penal Code sections pertaining to rioting, assault and obstruction on public servants, unlawful assembly and endangering safety of a person.

At the time, Das and Rai were leading a protest against the policies and alleged inaction of the government, which was headed then headed by Madhu Koda, who was an independent MLA, and had support of Congress and other parties.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement