The newly elected MLAs of the AIADMK met at the party headquarters on Friday and unanimously elected J Jayalalithaa as their legislature party leader, ahead of her meeting with the Governor K Rosaiah on Saturday.
After the meeting, which lasted a few minutes, senior MLAs led by O Panneerselvam visited Jayalalithaa at her home to hand over the resolution electing her as the leader.
- Congress, JD(S) to fight 2019 Lok Sabha elections together, finally announce Karnataka cabinet portfolio
- Karnataka govt formation: Trust vote 24 hours after oath, proposal for two Deputy CMs, says HD Kumaraswamy
- While you were asleep: Here’s how the Karnataka battle unfolded in Supreme Court
- AIADMK chief Jayalalithaa meets Tamil Nadu Governor, to take oath as CM tomorrow
- Jayalalithaa likely to return as Tamil Nadu CM soon
- Jayalalitha to be sworn in as Tamil Nadu CM on Monday
Sources said Jayalalithaa is likely to be sworn in on May 23. The date will be formally announced by the governor on Saturday. Sources added that the centenary hall of the University of Madras, Jayalalithaa’s favourite venue that witnessed many of her political events, may be the venue of the swearing-in ceremony.
After her conviction and nearly seven months out of office, it was on May 23, 2015, that she sworn in as CM again after the Karnataka High Court acquitted her in the disproportionate assets case.