A top commander of Hizbul Mujahideen militant outfit was on Tuesday killed in an encounter with security forces in Kupwara districts of north Kashmir, police said.
Samir Ahmad Wani alias Jaan Sahib was killed in a gunbattle with security forces at Nagri Hatmulla in Kupwara district this morning, a police official said.
- Cop killed in J&K encounter, two aides of militants held
- Jammu and Kashmir: At least 2 militants killed by security forces in an encounter in Sopore
- Jammu-Kashmir: Two Hizbul militants killed in encounter with security forces in Kupwara
- Militants behind J&K policeman’s death shot in Kulgam encounter
- Kashmir IPS officer’s brother among new Hizbul Mujahideen recruits named on Burhan anniversary
- Jammu and Kashmir: Latest militant recruit could be brother of IPS officer
He said Wani, a resident of Sopore town in neighbouring Baramulla district, was a ‘divisional commander’ of the Hizbul Mujahideen.
One AK rifle and some ammunition were recovered from the encounter site, the official added.