Three suspected operatives of banned Indian Mujahideen (IM), arrested for allegedly supplying explosives used for carrying out a blast near Jama Masjid here in September 2010, today approached a Delhi court seeking bail.
In their bail application, Syed Ismail Afaaque, Abdus Saboor and Riyaz Ahmed Sayeedi said they be granted the relief as they were not required for further probe as the charge sheet has already been filed in the case.
The court has fixed May 30 for hearing arguments on the application which claimed the accused persons were innocent and had not committed any offence. The accused claimed in their plea “it is an admitted case of the prosecution that during investigation, no material/evidence was found by the police qua the applicants.”
“Even in the disclosure statements of co-accused, there is no reference of the applicants and the only material against them is the disclosure statements of the applicants-accused which is not admissible in evidence,” the application said.
It further submitted that “the applicants are permanent residents of Bhatkal in Karnataka, and having roots in the society and there is no chance of their absconding or tempering with the prosecution witnesses.” Special Cell of Delhi Police filed its supplementary charge sheet in January against the accused for the alleged offences under IPC, Unlawful Activities (Prevention) Act, Explosive Substances Act, Information Technology Act and Arms Act.
The case pertains to the explosion of the bomb fitted in a car near the historic mosque on September 19, 2010 soon after two suspected IM operatives had fired at a bus from which foreign tourists were descending near a gate of the mosque. The three accused were arrested last year in connection with the case.
Two Taiwanese tourists had sustained bullet injuries in the firing incident for which a separate case was lodged.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines