Former Union Home Minister P Chidambaram on Tuesday said there was nothing wrong in the second affidavit drafted in the Ishrat Jahan case, which said there was no conclusive evidence to prove she was a terrorist.
The former Union minister has been under attack from the ruling BJP, which has questioned the second affidavit — drafted when Chidambaram was the home minister.
Chidambaram said the affidavit was drafted after Ahmedabad Metropolitan Judge S P Tamang’s report said the encounter was fake. Successive probes, by the SIT and the CBI, said Ishrat had been in police custody and that the weapons recovered from them had been planted by police. “The versions said it was a fake encounter. They were killed at midnight. They were in police custody. A sum of Rs 2.06 lakh was shown on them and they were killed seated in a car. These are the findings of a judge in the Maharashtra judiciary,” said Chidambaram.
Rubbishing the controversy, he said, “Can you point out which part of the further affidavit is wrong legally, politically or ethically.” “Intelligence inputs are only inputs and not conclusive evidence. It has to be further investigated and prosecuted in the court,” he said.