PM Narendra Modi arrived in the US on Monday on a three-day visit. This is PM Modi’s fourth visit to the US.
Several agreements were signed, to boost bilateral ties, in the presence of PM Narendra Modi and US President Barack Obama in the White House in Washington DC. This time PM Modi’s US visit focuses on foreign policy and ‘State-to-State conversation’.
A look at the six agreements signed between the two nations:
1. Arrangement between the Multi-Agency Centre/Intelligence Bureau of the Government of India and the Terrorist Screening Center of the Government of the United States of America for the exchange of Terrorist Screening Information
What its about: As per this Arrangement, India and the US shall provide each other access to terrorism screening information through the designated contact points, subject to domestic laws and regulations. The Arrangement would enhance the counter terrorism cooperation between India and the US.
2. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Government of India and the Government of the United States of America to enhance cooperation on Energy Security, Clean Energy and Climate Change
What its about: The objective of the MoU is to enhance cooperation between India and the US on energy security, clean energy and climate change through increased bilateral engagement and further joint initiatives for promoting sustainable growth.
3. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Government of India and Government of the United States of America to enhance co-operation on Wildlife Conservation and Combating Wildlife Trafficking
What its about: The MOU seeks cooperation in areas such as Wildlife Forensics and Conservation Genetics; Natural World Heritage Conservation and Nature Interpretation; and Conservation Awareness, between India and the US for wildlife conservation and management and combating wildlife trafficking.
4. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between Consular, Passport and Visa Division of the Ministry of External Affairs, Government of India and US Customs and Border Protection, Department of Homeland Security of the United States for the Development of an International Expedited Traveler Initiative (the Global Entry Programme)
What its about: The Global Entry is a US Customs and Border Protection programme, which allows expedited clearance for pre-approved, low-risk travelers upon arrival in the United States. After joint scrutiny and clearance by both countries, the approved Indian travelers will be extended the facility of expedited entry into the United States through automatic kiosks at select airports.
5. Technical Arrangement between the Indian Navy and the United States Navy concerning Unclassified Maritime Information Sharing
What its about: The Arrangement would allow sharing of unclassified information on White Shipping between India and the US as permitted by respective national laws, regulations and policies, and provides a framework for mutually beneficial maritime information.
6. Memorandum of Understanding (MoU) between the Ministry of Petroleum and Natural Gas, Government of India and the Department of Energy of the United States of America for Cooperation in Gas Hydrates
What its about: The MOU aims to increase the understanding of the geologic occurrence, distribution, and production of natural gas hydrates along the continental margin of India and in the US.
Also India and US finalized two agreements:
* Information Exchange Annex (IEA) between the Ministry of Defence, Government of India and the Department of Defense of the United States of America to the Master Information Exchange Agreement concerning Aircraft Carrier Technologies
What its about: IEA is aimed to enhance data and information sharing specific to aircraft carriers technology between India and the US.
* Logistics Exchange Memorandum of Agreement between the Ministry of Defence, Government of India and the Department of Defense of the United States of America
What its about: The agreement is aimed at facilitating mutual logistic support between India and the US for authorized port visits, joint exercises, joint training and HA-DR (humanitarian assistance and disaster relief).