India on Thursday briefed top envoys of 25 countries including the US, China, Russia, the UK and France after the Indian Army said it has carried a “surgical strikes” on seven terror launch pads across the LoC,inflicting “significant casualties” on terrorists preparing to infiltrate from Pakistan-occupied Kashmir (PoK).
Foreign Secretary S Jaishankar briefed the envoys in the South Block to convey the “context” of carrying out the strikes, External Affairs Ministry Spokesperson Vikas Swarup confirmed.
The Foreign Secretary told them that it was “a classic counter-terrorism operation more than a military one” and that it was to neutralise terrorists who were trained to carry out attacks in Jammu and Kashmir and other major Indian cities.
They were also told that India has no plans for any further operation as of now but added the armed forces will not allow terrorists to carry out any attacks.
An all-party meeting chaired by Home Minister Rajnath Singh was also informed about it.
Significantly, earlier in the day American National Security Advisor Susan Rice had spoken to Indian counterpart Ajit Doval and said the US wants Pakistan to “combat and delegitimise” UN-designated terrorist entities, including LeT and JeM.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines