Hours before the merger of his party – Quami Ekta Dal —- with Samajwadi Party, mafia-turned MLA Mukhtar Ansari was transferred from Agra central jail to Lucknow district jail on Tuesday. Lucknow jail superintendent Shashikant Mishra confirmed about Mukhtar’s transfer to the district jail, but did not explain the grounds on which he was shifted from Agra.
Mukhtar has been lodged in jail since 2003 facing several criminal cases and he had been named as key conspirator behind daylight murder of then BJP MLA Krishnanand Rai in Ghazipur district in 2005.
- Inmate who killed Bajrangi shifted to Fatehgarh jail
- Munna Bajrangi shot dead: 10 facts about the slain gangster
- Political rivalries, murder, assault: Munna Bajrangi’s run-ins with law
- Munna Bajrangi shot dead: The dreaded gangster who once nursed political ambitions
- Yogi government orders Mukhtar Ansari’s transfer from Lucknow jail
- Mukhtar Ansari released on custody parole for a day
Mukhtar was lodged in Ghazipur district jail when Rai was killed in a shootout. CBI had investigated the case and has also filed chargesheet against Mukhtar and other accused.