External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj tweeted, “I happy to inform the rescue of the 11th sailor Rohan Ruparalia.” Rohan was taken hostage after his ship, with 10 other Indians on board, was seized by pirates off Ivory Coast on February 11. While the 10 Indians were rescued by Nigerian Navy from the vessel Maximus on February 19, Rohan was taken hostage by the pirates.
- Kangra trio held hostage by Nigerian pirates: As ransom deadline ends, govt assures families of help
- Nigerian pirates demand over Rs 20 lakh for releasing 3 Kangra youths over ransom call, says family
- We were tortured by pirates and starved for days: Sailors
- Indians released after help from Pak rights activist: sailor kin
- 6 of 61 pirates sent to police custody
- Somali pirates hijack 1 more vessel; 11 Indians held hostage
Later, MEA spokesperson Vikas Swarup said that with this, all 11 Indian crew members were safe and secure and were returning to India in batches. Rohan is flying back to India tonight, Swarup added.