Railway Minister Suresh Prabhu will flag off Goa Rajdhani on November 15 from Madgaon, fulfilling a long standing demand from the state.
The first Rajdhani for Goa will be a bi-weekly service and leave from Nizamuddin station every Friday and Saturday and from every Sunday and Monday from Madgaon.
- Union Minister Piyush Goyal rules out privatisation of Indian Railways
- On World Environment Day, IRCTC launches bagasse-based food packaging on premium trains
- Dip in air traffic in routes connecting Mumbai to metros
- Indian Railways may replace AC-II-tier with AC-III tier in Rajdhanis, Durontos in some sectors
- Agartala gets Rajdhani Express train, will run once a week
- Tripura upbeat, gets a Rajdhani Express, though only once a week
While Trivendrum Rajdhani goes to Madgaon, there was no separate Rajdhani service for Goa till date.
Goa Rajdhani will be the 22nd Rajdhani service being launched by Railways across the country connecting state capitals with the national capital.
There was a great demand for a separate Goa Rajdhani and Railways decided to fulfill it, said a senior Railway Ministry official.
He said while the train will be flagged off on coming Sunday, the regular service will be started from Friday.
Keeping the upcoming Christmas and New Year celebrations in mind, Railways have launched the premier service ahead of festive season.
Goa witnesses heavy rush of tourists during the X-mas and year-end bash.
Since the train is leaving Delhi on Saturday, it is expected to be patronised by tourists, said the official.
There are about eight stoppages including Surat, Vadodara, Ratnagiri, Vasai Road between Nizamuddin and Madgaon in both directions.