Notorious gangster Sumit Choudhary alias Sunny Baba, who had escaped police custody from a hospital in Jammu on August 23, was re-arrested along with an accomplice at Lakhanpur by a police party from Jammu on Friday.
Identifying his accomplice Avneet Singh alias Naggi of R S Pura, police said that Sunny Baba was earlier arrested in March 2011 for his alleged involvement in a conspiracy to eliminate witnesses in the murder of a cable operator Amandeep Singh, especially a National Conference leader and former president of the State Gurdwara Prabandhak Board, Sudershan Singh Wazir. The contract for killing the witnesses was given to him by a don turned businessman Naggar Singh alias Naggo, who happened to be the father of murder accused Jatinder Singh alias Raja.
Amandeep, the son of a former National Conference legislator, was gunned down in broad daylight near his house by Raja and his friend Royal Singh.
- Nayagaon murder: Three PGI workers held, sent to three-day police custody
- Chargesheet filed in gosain murder case: Targeted killings have footprints in Pak, other countries, says NIA
- Chargesheet in RSS leader murder case: Targeted killings have footprints in Pakistan, other countries, says NIA
- Main accused in Rs 1.33-crore heist at Banur arrested, say police
- Jammu jail head held for murder plot hatched in prison
- Jammu SSP,2 others arrested in Amandeep murder case
Sources said that police was tracking the mobile phone location of Sunny Baba who spent most of the time after his escape from hospital in Baddi, Himachal Pradesh. Following a tip off that he has been in Pathankote, as a police party went there, Sunny Baba along with his associate had already reached Lakhanpur.
However, tracking his mobile phone location, the police party apprehended him near Lakhanpur Toll Plaza. The police party included Vishlesh Kumar and Ashwani Kumar, both SHOs of Gandhi Nagar and Bakshi Nagar police stations, respectively, besides SOG SI Ajay Engotra.