An offence has been registered against a former Shiv Sena corporator from the city for allegedly demanding nearly Rs 45 lakh from a builder as ‘protection money’, police said on Friday.
The ex-corporator demanded the money from the builder to ‘protect’ his construction project in the city from any hurdles, they said.
He had allegedly taken an advance of Rs five lakhs out of Rs 45 lakh and was demanding the rest of the sum, police said.
Subsequently, the builder filed a complaint with the Thane unit of the Anti-Corruption Bureau which carried out a probe and registered a complaint. The demand for money was going on since June 2014, police said. The accused has been booked under section 7 of the Prevention of Corruption Act-1988, they added.
- Gujarat Congress MLA accused of corruption in ‘irrigation’ scam sent to police custody
- Gujarat Congress MLA arrested for allegedly demanding Rs 40 lakh bribe from irrigation scam accused
- Ex-corporator, 2 RTI activists arrested for extortion bid
- Ram temple not a poll issue for BJP: Devendra Fadnavis
- Bitcoin Extortion case: On the run, ex-BJP MLA held from Maharashtra
- Bitcoin case: Ahmedabad Crime Branch nabs former BJP MLA Nalin Kotadiya