The first session of newly elected Assam Assembly begins today at Dispur in Guwahati.
The Bharatiya Janata Party Legislature Party met on Tuesday evening in presence of Chief Minister Sarbanand Sonowal, before the three-day Session of the Assembly.
The BJP and its alliance partners Asom Gana Parishad and Bodoland Peoples Front have decided to field BJP legislator Ranjit Kumar Das as the Speaker of the new Assembly.
A former journalist and Field Publicity Officer of the Information and Broadcasting Ministry, Mr Das represents Sorbhog Assembly seat and he will file nomination papers today for the post and expected to win uncontested.
- NRC essential in every state: Assam CM Sonowal
- Assam CM Sonowal expands cabinet after two years, inducts seven new ministers
- Newly-elected MLAs take oath in Assam Assembly
- Assam swearing-in today: AGP, BPF may get two berths each in Sonowal cabinet
- BJP’s Sarbananda Sonwal to be sworn in as Assam CM on May 24
- Sarbananda Sonowal rise to top: From AGP MLA to becoming BJP chief ministerial candidate
Prior to that, Pro-tem Speaker Phani Bhusan Choudhury will conduct the oath taking ceremony of newly elected MLAs.
Senior BJP leader Hitendra Nath Goswami was elected as the Chief Whip of the party.
Congress Legislature party also meet yesterday which was attended, among others, by the former chief minister Tarun Gogoi.