Attacking Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis and his government, former chief minister Prithviraj Chavan said Monday that the state government’s claim of having signed 2,594 MoUs (memorandum of understandings) attracting investment worth Rs 8 lakh crore in Maharashtra was a lie.
Chavan said the state government was running a “Fraud in India” campaign, and not Make In India campaign.
“The Chief Minister is lying, and so is his government. They are spreading falsehoods to gain people’s trust. But we have found out that they are trying to fool the people of Maharashtra by dishing out fake numbers,” Chavan told reporters after addressing a Congress rally in Pimpri-Chinchwad.
The former CM said he had raised the issue in the state legislature, seeking details of the MoUs signed, but had got no reply from the government. “Similarly, I have sought information under Right to Information Act. Here too, the Chief Minister’s Office and the industry ministry have not responded. I have decided to go in for an appeal,” he said.
Chavan said the government was claiming it had put the information on its website sector-wise. “What sector-wise information are they talking of… We are asking for the names of the companies with whom they have signed the MOUs, the financial status of the units, the area where the investment is going to take place and other relevant details. But the government is fighting shy of providing the details, especially relating to the names of the companies,” he said.
- Maharashtra: Govt not handling Maratha quota demand ‘honestly’, says former CM Prithviraj Chavan
- Reservation stir: Opposition worried about backlash from non-Maratha sections
- Maharashtra: BJP MLA’s remarks over Shivaji Memorial spark protest, Opposition parties demand apology
- Maharashtra govt, opposition engage in war of words over Shivaji’s statue
- Maharashtra CM Devendra Fadnavis orders judicial probe into Kharghar land deal
- Ex CM Prithviraj Chavan violated rules in Lonavala land deal: Devendra Fadnavis
When contacted, the CMO said the industry ministry had already clarified on the signing of the Mos. “At least 40 per cent of the companies have been allotted land and the the process for the remaining was under way. It is incorrect to say the government is lying,” an official said.
Chavan also accused the Fadnavis government of keeping Pimpri-Chinchwad out of the central government’s smart city mission though the city was picked from Maharashtra for the smart city list. “Pimpri-Chinchwad was at number 10 spot. But the Maharashtra government later took upon itself the task of giving marks out of 40 while the Centre was to decide about allotting 60 marks. The Maharashtra government deliberately gave less marks to Pimpri-Chinchwad,” he alleged.
“I had sought information from the central government as to whether the Maharashtra government was empowered to give marks to cities while picking them for the smart city mission. The central government has clarified in the RTI reply it had not given any powers to anybody. Then how did Maharashtra government decide about giving marks?” he asked.
After the uproar, Chavan said, the Fadnavis government again “lied” that it had made efforts to get Pimpri-Chinchwad in the smart city list. “It actually made all efforts to keep Pimpri-Chinchwad out of the smart city mission,” he said. The only option now, said Chavan, was to approach the courts.
On the ongoing skirmish between the Shiv Sena and BJP, Chavan reiterated that the Sena would withdraw support before the 2017 BMC elections.
About the demand for a ban on Sanatan Sanstha, Chavan said his government had demanded a ban on the organisation in 2011. “We had submitted a dossier on the Sansthan to the central government after we came across the dangerous activities of the organisation and demanded a ban on it,” he said.