Dera Sacha Sauda follower Gurdev Singh (31), who was shot at three days ago, passed away on Friday, leading to tension in Kotkapura in Faridkot district where the followers of the sect assembled to demand immediate arrest of the culprits.
Gurdev Singh (31) was shot in Burj Jawahar Singh Wala village in Faridkot district. He passed away in Dayanand Medical College and Hospital in Ludhiana.
Gurdev was admitted in the hospital in critical condition, Dr Ashwani Chaudhry, neuro surgeon of the DMCH said.
- Sukhpal Khaira, Kanwar Sandhu cite SIT report: ‘Dera men behind bid on Daduwal’s life’
- Bargari sacrilege incident: Justice Ranjit Singh panel submits report to Amarinder
- 2011 Moga clash: Six more Dera followers arrested, sent to police custody till June 16
- Punjab: Dera follower’s role in desecration case being probed, say police
- Punjab: Four Dera men ‘held’ in 3-year-old desecration cases
- Dera Sacha Sauda followers demand arrest of accused involved in Gurdev Singh murder
The police have handed over his body to his family members after performing the post-mortem examination.
There was tension in Kotkapura in Faridkot where the Dera followers started to assemble after the body arrived there this evening.
The Dera followers decided to keep body at Kotkapura in Faridkot, demanding immediate arrest of the accused.
A large number of dera followers had started assembling at Kotkapura to pay homage to Gurdev Singh.
In view of tension prevailing in the village, DIG Ferozepur range was camping in Kotkapura.
Heavy police deployments had been rushed to Kotkapura village where the body was kept.
The Dera followers have threatened to hit streets if the police fails to arrest the accused immediately.
Earlier, tight security arrangements had been made in the civil Hospital at Ludhiana, police said.
A large number of dera followers were also present on the occasion.
Yesteday, Punjab Police had assured the followers of the Sirsa-headquartered sect that the “murderous attack” case would be solved soon.
Police said so far there was no breakthrough in cracking the case which could lead to the arrest of accused.