scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, October 16, 2021

Mercedes hit-and-run case: Juvenile board rejects bail plea of accused

On Sunday night, the Class XII student, was produced before the JJB after police had charged him with culpable homicide for being a repeat offender of rash and negligent driving.

By: Express News Service | New Delhi |
Updated: April 20, 2016 2:27:50 am
mercedes hit and run case, delhi hit and run case, accident by mercedes, delhi IT professional accident, IT professional accident, juvenile mercedes hit and run case, juvenile justice board, delhi news, india news The incident took place in Civil Lines Monday. (Source: Express photo by Amit Mehra)

The Juvenile Justice Board (JJB) Tuesday denied bail to the teenage driver in the Mercedes hit-and-run case after taking note of the fact that he had faced challans earlier for speeding and was a “repeat offender.”

According to sources, the JJB I at Seva Kutir Tuesday rejected the bail application, after police told the court that the juvenile had been involved in another accident earlier and had also been challaned for rash driving.

[related-post]

Police had apprehended the minor on April 5, a day after he allegedly mowed down 33-year-old Sidhharth Sharma with his speeding Mercedes in north Delhi’s Civil Lines.
He was later charged with culpable homicide not amounting to murder.

Police also arrested the minor’s father on charges of abetting the crime of culpable homicide after investigators found that despite knowing about the accident caused by his son, he had given him the vehicle’s keys.

Police had earlier informed the court that CCTV footage clearly showed the teenager driving the car extremely fast inside a residential area.

Sources said, the minor had been challaned on two previous occasions for violating traffic rules.

 

Also read | Juvenile sent to remand home for two more days

He had allegedly been involved in another accident in February this year, but no police charges were filed over that.

According to sources, the JJB, in its order, has noted that the parents of the juvenile “did not seem to care” about the repeated violations by their son as they had “handed over the keys” to him despite the violations.

The bench also observed that he was a “potential menace” not only to pedestrians but also to himself.

Police also pointed out that the actions of the parents of the boy indicated their “scant regard” for the law, as they had allowed their son to drive before turning 18 and getting a valid driving licence.

The teenager had sought bail on grounds that he was a minor and was a student of Class XII.

WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE

 

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement