scorecardresearch
Saturday, Feb 04, 2023
Advertisement
Premium

December 16 gangrape: Centre seeks extension of juvenile’s stay

No mention of mental health status and follow-up were among the concerns listed by Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Sanjay Jain while appearing for the Centre.

December 16 rape case, rape case december 16, Delhi High court, high court delhi, december 16 2012 rape case, nirbhaya rape case, rape case culprits, juvenile convict 16 december rape case, delhi rape case, rape in delhi, Nirbhaya case convicts, juvenile convict to be released, gangrape in delhi, gang rape in bus He said that no follow-up action has been contemplated in the MC’s report and this aspect was “completely missing”.

The Delhi High Court Monday reserved its judgment on a plea seeking delay in the release of the juvenile convict in the December 16, 2012 gangrape case, after the Ministry of Home Affairs (MHA) claimed that several aspects of the Delhi government’s “post release follow-up plan” were “unclear”.
The issue was heard by the bench of Chief Justice G Rohini and Justice Jayant Nath.

Additional Solicitor General (ASG) Sanjay Jain told the court that he was “not satisfied” with the report filed by the Rehabilitation Management Committee, under the Juvenile Justice (Care and Protection) Act, as the follow-up action — which required a plan spread over two to three years — was unclear.

Jain also told the bench that the juvenile’s mental health report was not available, and that there was no clarity on whether his family was ready to take responsibility after his release.

The report had suggested that since the boy had been trained in cooking and tailoring, he could be given a one-time financial assistance to start his own tailoring shop so that he could “lead a new life with a new identity”.

Subscriber Only Stories
UPSC Essentials | Weekly news express with MCQs: Adani-Hindenburg saga, M...
Anti-science movement is political but medicine also hasn’t conveyed its ...
In Jharkhand’s tribal villages, an online marketplace for local produce
Delhi Confidential: Mansukh Mandaviya gives a shout out to youngest Mitra

The ASG said the juvenile’s stay in the ‘place of safety’ could be extended till the committee modified the rehabilitation plan.

The submissions were made by the Central government in response to a PIL filed by BJP leader Subramanian Swamy to extend the incarceration of the juvenile.
In the plea, Swamy said “no provision has been made in the Act, to provide for vicious unregenerate convicted juveniles, who despite having undergone the reformation process for the maximum penalty of three years custody in a special home, continue to be a menace to the society”.

The bench initially raised the query of whether there were any grounds for intervention “at this stage”.

Advertisement

But it reserved its order after the ASG argued that the juvenile was scheduled to be released on December 20, and the incarceration could be extended till the rehabilitation plan was filed by the committee.

 

First published on: 15-12-2015 at 02:10 IST
Next Story

New IIP Series: Samsung to replace Nokia in telecom output data

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
close