Gujarat: Dalit flogging victims hospitalised a day after discharge

In the morning, a doctor in the village referred them to Ahmedabad Civil Hospital after they complained of breathing problems, vomiting and bleeding from the nose and ear.

By: Express News Service | Ahmedabad | Published: July 28, 2016 5:41:54 am
dalit flogging, dalit gau rakshaks, una flogging, una dalits, gujarat dalits, gujarat gau rakhsaks, gujarat news, india news Ramesh Sarvaiya, one of the victims. File Photo/Agencies

A day after they were discharged from a Rajkot hospital, four Dalit victims of the Una flogging incident were admitted to Ahmedabad Civil Hospital Wednesday evening after they complained of blood in vomit, chest pain, breathlessness and other related problems. Two of them were reportedly in the intensive care unit (ICU) of the trauma ward and administered oxygen.

After they reached Mota Samadhiyala village in Una taluka of Gir Somnath district Tuesday night, Ramesh Sarvaiya complained of blood in vomit, chest pain and breathing problems, while his brother Vashram reported bleeding from ear and nose. In the morning, a doctor in the village referred them to Ahmedabad Civil Hospital.

The two others — Ashok and Bechar — were also brought to the hospital after they complained of similar problems. According to sources in the hospital, Ramesh and Vashram were in the ICU of the trauma ward, but their condition was now stable.

“All the four patients who came from Una after being discharged from Rajkot’s PDU Hospital have undergone all necessary medical investigations, including ECG, x-ray and scans. Their condition is stable and normal,” said medical superintendent Dr M M Prabhakar.

About Ramesh’s condition, the doctor said: “He complained of vomiting blood and weakness… but we did not find any vomit trace.” Even as their medical reports were awaited, relatives of Ramesh and Vashram said the two were on oxygen support in the ICU.

However, Kevalbhai Rathod, a relative of the victims, said: “Due to political pressure and despite not giving consent, they were discharged from Rajkot civil hospital.” Dr Dharmendra Vatsraj, medical superintendent of PDU General Hospital, however, said the four were alright and “fully recovered.”

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App