Follow Us:
Tuesday, January 19, 2021

Dadri lynching case: 21-year-old accused dies, villagers claim he was beaten up in prison

A detailed report of Ravin’s medical history, test results as well as the postmortem report from LNJP Hospital, is awaited.

Written by Aditi Vatsa | Dadri | Updated: October 7, 2016 12:52:00 pm
dadri lynching, beef ban, beef lynching, mohd akhlaq, akhlaq family, akhlaq lynching, bisara lynching, ravin sisodia, ravin sisodia jail, akhlaq ravin, who is ravin sisodia, what happened in dadri, indian express news, india news A meeting of Bisara villagers, who demanded Jaan Mohammad’s arrest. Express photo

RAVIN SISODIA (21), jailed for allegedly beating Mohammad Akhlaq to death in Dadri’s Bisara village in September last year, died in a Delhi hospital on Tuesday. Villagers alleged that Ravin, along with three other accused in the case, was beaten up in jail. Following this, Ravin was hospitalised.

“Around 6.30 pm to 7 pm today, we came to know about the death. A detailed report of Ravin’s medical history, test results as well as the postmortem report from LNJP Hospital, is awaited. Jail authorities have told us that he was suffering from a lung infection. But I have asked for a detailed medical report,” Gautam Budh Nagar District Magistrate N P Singh said.


A senior official of LNJP said the cause of Ravin’s death will be disclosed on Wednesday. “Initial information from jail authorities suggests he had a lung infection… Heavy security has been deployed in Bisara,” said SSP (Gautam Budh Nagar) Dharmendra Singh.

“Ravin was admitted to LNJP Hospital on Tuesday morning. He had been unwell since September 23. We came to know about it on September 25, when we visited him along with Vinay, Rupendra and Bheem at the jail. Ravin told us that they got into a scuffle with some jail officials.

Vinay said Ravin had been unwell since then,” said Vinay’s father Om Mahesh.

Sources said Ravin had initially undergone tests at the district hospital in Noida, and was transferred to LNJP on Tuesday morning.

Meanwhile, mothers of 13 of the accused have been on an indefinite hunger strike in Bisara since Saturday. A few hours before news of Ravin’s death reached Bisara, Sub-Divisional Magistrate Amit Kumar, along with officers from Jharcha police station, met the protesters. “I am requesting you with folded hands, please release our innocent children and arrest Jaan Mohammad (Akhlaq’s brother),” said Lilavati, a local. Akhlaq had been beaten to death by a mob on suspicion of cow slaughter and beef consumption. After his death, an FIR had been registered against him, and six other members of his family, including Jaan Mohammad.

“The hunger strike will continue for two more days… We are giving you (police) two days to arrest Jaan Mohammad. On the third day, if he is still free, we will do what we want. The investigation has been going on for the last three months. Why was there no investigation before our sons were put behind bars?” said Hari Om, a local.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by