An inebriated driver of a private bus carrying 32 passengers, including eight women, abandoned the vehicle by the roadside at nearby Tirumangalam after an argument with its passengers over consuming liquor, police said on Tuesday.
Police said the incident took place last night when the Chennai bound bus from Tirunelveli approached Sattur.
The driver halted the vehicle and got down to consume liquor. Irate passengers berated him following which he stopped the vehicle by the roadside near Tirumangalam at around 11 pm and left along with the cleaner.
- MACT awards Rs 27 lakh redressal to kin of passenger who died due to bus driver’s negligence
- Two killed as bus falls into gorge in Mizoram
- Deadly New Mexico bus crash prompts negligence claims
- Raigad bus accident: University sends sole survivor on forced leave, but cops give him ‘clean chit’
- Dapoli again: Narrow escape for 31 passengers as ST bus overturns
- Palghar: 40 injured as bus turns turtle
The passengers, including eight women, then informed police and the manager of the city-based travel agency. They reached the spot and pacified the angry passengers.
The bus left for its destination with another driver at about 4 am this morning, police said.
A case has been registered against the driver and the cleaner and a search was on to nab them, police said.