CBI on Friday restarted its probe in the Bulandshahr rape case after Supreme Court gave its nod as the agency sent its team to the crime scene.
CBI sources said a team of forensic experts, investigators and support staff reached the crime scene and tried to recreate the events based on details given to them by the victims.
The sources said the move came after the Supreme Court lifted its stay on the probe.
A 13-year-old girl and her mother were dragged out of their car and raped by a group of assailants in a field while the victims along with their family were travelling from Noida to Shahjahanpur on the intervening night of July 29-30.
The case was transferred to CBI on the instructions of the Allahabad High Court. The agency had registered a case on August 18 and sent a team of forensic experts and a DIG-ranked officer to the crime scene.
UP Police, which had earlier received flak from the Allahabad High Court, had claimed to have solved the blind case within nine days of the incident with arrest of Salim Bawariya, the head of a gang from Rajasthan.
On the basis of his interrogation, two other gang members — Zubair and Sajid — were arrested by the Special Task Force of UP Police. Later, three more accused — Naresh (25), Bablu (22) and Rais (28) — were arrested.