A British youth was killed when his motorcycle fell into a deep gorge in the district, a senior police official said on Saturday.
21-year-old Victor James Fox had come to visit Gangotri, the famous Himalayan shrine in Garhwal Himalayas.
- Uttarkashi bus accident: PM Modi announces ex-gratia of Rs 2 lakh for kin of deceased
- Uttarkashi: At least 22 pilgrims dead as bus falls into Bhagirathi river
- Polish mountaineer falls to death, companion goes missing in Uttarkashi
- Gangotri yatra resumes three months after Uttarkhand devastation
- Kedarnath temple reopens for pilgrims
- 23 pilgrims from Gurgaon killed in Ukhand accident
He fell into a 200-metre deep gorge near Nalupani on Rishikesh-Gangotri highway while he was on his way to Gangotri on a bike along with three of his friends on Thursday evening, Uttarkashi SP Dadan Pal Singh said.
His friends reported the matter to Chinyalisaur police station but by the time a rescue team reached the spot, it was too late.
Fox’s body was retrieved after an operation that lasted for hours, the SP said.
The British High Commission was informed about the incident and Fox’s body flown to Delhi, he said.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE