BMS Thiruvananthapuram district joint secretary Govind R Thampi was arrested on Sunday on charges of threatening to kill Asianet News TV chief coordinating editor Sindhu Sooryakumar.
Thampi, in his Facebook page, had stated that he would kill Sooryakumar, who had insulted Durga Devi, and challenged those with guts to register a case against him. He was later released on bail.
- Rape complainant threatened: Panchayat Bhawan employee accuses manager of harassment in Chandigarh
- ‘Plot to kill’ PM Modi: Threat letter being used to garner sympathy, says Sharad Pawar
- Man arrested for ‘posting’ obscene cartoon gets bail
- Another Word For Fear
- TV news anchor gets 2,000 threat calls after discussion on Mahishasur Jayanti, 5 arrested
- JNU row: Threats flow over phone, email, social media
Last week, police arrested five persons — all members of various Sangh Parivar outfits — in connection with abusing Sooryakumar.
Sooryakumar had moderated a discussion on a popular news show on whether celebrating Mahishasur Jayanti could be considered an act of treason, after which she received 2,000-odd threat calls on her cellphone.
One of the five accused told police that he got Sooryakumar’s number from a WhatsApp group called Sanga Dhwani. Three others, arrested from Kannur, are members of Sri Rama Sena.