Making the issue of illegal immigrants in Assam as a major poll plank, BJP on Friday promised to ensure sealing of Indo-Bangladesh border in its ‘vision document’ unveiled here as it accused Chief Minister Tarun Gogoi of encouraging infiltration and destroying demography.
“Congress tried to destroy and change the demography of the state by encouraging infiltration. Congress has been doing it for many decades and took no action,” Union Minister Arun Jaitley said attacking the Gogoi government while releasing BJP’s Vision Document for Assam, where assembly polls will kick off on April 4.
- Prove your identity
- Sansad Adarsh Gram Yojna: At Arun Jaitley’s adopted village in Gujarat, a 50-km journey cut to 4 km
- Assam: Protests mark JPC hearing on Citizenship Bill
- Seal border and detect Bangladeshis: ‘Jatiya nayak’ Sonowal’s major challenges in Assam
- Assam: BJP makes history, breaks Congress’ 15-year uninterrupted rule
- Assam assembly polls: Stage set for first phase voting on April 4
The BJP Assam Vision Document 2016-2025 promised to work closely with the Centre for “complete sealing of the Indo-Bangladesh border in the state” if it was voted to power. It also assured the people that a law would be enacted to “deal sternly” with industries, businesses, Small and Medium Enterprises or any other agencies employing infiltrators.
Referring to Congress’ allegation of fund cut to the state by the NDA government, Jaitley said “Assam will get 148 per cent more in 2016-2020 compared to 2011-2015 due to higher tax devaluation of 42 per cent as against 32 per cent earlier.” Assam, he said, will get Rs 1,43,239 crore as tax devaluation as recommended by the 14th Finance Commission as against Rs 57,854 crore during 13th Finance Commission.
“So stop misleading the people. A failed government is trying to find excuses for its failures,” Jaitley said.