Prohibitory orders have been enforced across Shamli district and borders of Kairana sealed even as BJP MLA Sangeet Som, on Friday, suspended his march to the town caught in the migration row and gave a 15-day ultimatum to UP government to bring back those who allegedly migrated.
Som had started his rally to Kairana from his house in Sardhana with thousands of followers but was stopped at the border of the town keeping in mind the situation, Meerut District Collector Pankaj Yadav said.
A rally by Samawadi Party, led by party leader Atul Pradhan, was also stopped some distance from Sardhana town limits, he said.
- Youths ‘assaulted, asked their religion: ‘Sangeet Som Sena’ members demand arrest of accused
- Grenade thrown at BJP MLA Sangeet Som’s house in Meerut, five cops suspended
- Unidentified assailants open fire, lob grenade on BJP MLA Sangeet Som’s residence in Meerut
- Arrest for post on Sangeet Som: ‘These 2 forwarded a message… why don’t they go after the one who wrote’
- ‘Kairana Exodus’: Riot-accused MLA issues ultimatum, says, ‘in 15 days, bring back all who migrated, or else…’
- BJP MLA Sangeet Som stopped from entering Kairana, suspends ‘Nirbhay Yatra’
“As a precautionary measure police and PAC have been stationed in heavy numbers. Section 144 is in force. No one will be allowed to break the law in this situation,” Yadav said.
Shamli District Magistrate Sujit Kumar told PTI that prohibitory orders are enforced across Shamli district, including Kairana town, and any march or yatra with political leaders would not be allowed without permission.
All entrances to Kairana have been sealed with the deployment of paramilitary forces with security officials keeping a watch on the situation.
Som said he postponed his ‘Nirbhay’ rally after prohibitory orders were enforced. “We’ve given a 15 days ultimatum. Either the government gets back the people who’ve migrated or we’ll have to take to the streets,” he said.
“If in 15 days they do not return we’re warning that no one will be able to stop BJP workers from going to Kairana or to any other place. We’ll follow the law. The senior authorities gave us notice that section 144 of the CrPC was imposed so we’ve postponed the rally. UP BJP chief Keshav Prasad Maurya called up and said that wherever the authorities stop you, you have to abide by the law,” Som added while appealing to people to follow the law.