Assam BJP leader’s son, kidnapped by ULFA, released

Assam BJP leader’s son, kidnapped by ULFA, released

Moran was abducted by the ULFA from Assam-Arunchal border in Changlang district.

ULFA, Assam, Assam BJP leader ULFA, Kuldeep Moran
Tinsukia: A video footage leaked on media showing Kuldeep Moran, son of Tinsukia Zila Parishad Vice President Ratnaswar Moran in the custody of ULFA(I) militants. Kuldeep was abducted on August 1, 2016 by the suspected organization for Rs 1 cr ransom. PTI Photo

BJP leader Ratneswer Moran’s son Kuldeep Moran, who was kidnapped by the ULFA on August 1 from Tinsukia district in upper Assam, was released on Friday in Nampong, Arunchal Pradesh, according to ANI. Moran was abducted by the ULFA from Assam-Arunchal border in Changlang district, where Moran’s father had some timber business, according to police.

In a video clip that was mailed to local TV news channels, the abductors demanded a Rs 1 crore ransom where Kuldeep Moran was shown kneeling down, blindfolded with five heavily armed men standing guard facing the camera. He was shown pleading with his parents and Assam Chief Minister Sarbananda Sonowal to secure his safe release. He said he feared being killed in the crossfire. Moran’s father Ratneswar Moran, who is a vice-president of the Zilla Parishad, has some business activities in the Changlang district of Arunachal Pradesh that shares boundary with Tinsukia.

READ: In ULFA kidnap video, hostage appeals to Assam CM Sarbananda Sonowal, parents for help

“I have been kidnapped by the ULFA. They have been taking me from one place to another on foot by blindfolding me almost every day. I appeal to my parents, as well as to chief minister Sarbananda Sonowal to get me released
as early as possible. I don’t want to get killed in a crossfire ,” Moran had said in the video clip.


Interestingly, while Moran was abducted on August 1, his father Ratneswar Moran said he had received a call from some person identifying himself as from the ULFA who claimed of the abduction and demanded Rs 1 crore as ransom. “When I said I was not a rich man to pay so much money, the ULFA later asked me to get the sum from the Sadiya MLA. They had also set August 12 as the deadline,” Ratneswar Moran had said.

The rebel group also emailed a statement to media houses seeking the ransom. The rebels claimed that Kuldeep was indulging in extortion in the name of the Ulfa-I. Immediately after the abduction, the Assam police sought the help of Arunachal police to trace the abducted boy.