In a suspected case of fratricide, an army jawan was killed and another injured on Thursday in a firing incident in Ganderbal district of Kashmir.
“One jawan has died while another was injured in firing incident at Safapora in Ganderbal district today,” an army official said.
He said a court of inquiry has been ordered to ascertain the circumstances leading to the incident.
- Manipur: Assam Rifles jawan killed in ambush set by militants
- Centre ends Ramzan ceasefire in J-K: A look at how militants defied govt’s initiative for peace with violence
- J&K: Army jawan injured in militant attack near LoC, succumbs to injuries
- BSF jawan among two injured in Pakistan shelling along IB in Samba-Kathua region
- BSF jawan killed as Pakistan violates ceasefire along IB in Jammu
- Kashmir on edge: 3 jawans, 4 civilians, 12 militants killed in separate encounters as operation ends
Watch Video: What’s making news
Defence sources, however, said it was an incident of fratricide in which one jawan shot at and injured his colleague before committing suicide.
Police officials said they have taken cognizance of the incident and were awaiting a report from the army for further proceedings in the case.