Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday laid the foundation stone for a memorial of Dr Ambedkar in New Delhi, which will cover the important aspects of his life.
Prime Minister Modi delivered the sixth memorial lecture, highlighting the life of Ambedkar and also reiterated his government’s stand on reservations for Dalits and tribals.
Here are his top quotes at the Ambedkar Memorial event:
* I have got an opportunity to fulfil Baba Saheb’s dream. He left us in 1956. Today, after 60 years, a memorial is being set up. 60 years have passed! I don’t know how we can explain this, but we have had to wait for 60 years for this. Perhaps this was written in my fate. Perhaps I had blessings of Baba Saheb on me. I will inaugurate it on 14th April, 2018
* Dr. Ambedkar called for labour reform and at the same time thought of industrialisation for the progress of India
* Wherever we have got the opportunity to serve, we have taken decisions out of Shradha of Dr. Ambedkar
* When Vajpayeeji became PM, sections started saying reservation will go. He was PM for two terms nothing of that sort happened. Nothing has ever happened to the reservation for Dalits, tribals, where we are in power but still this lies is spread to mislead. This is a right that nobody can snatch
* Dr. Ambedkar told society one thing – get educated. It is like the inner power and he showed the way in that regard
* Why was it that Dr. Ambedkar had to resign from the ministry? This part of history is either forgotten or diluted. When issue of equal rights to women came up, Babasaheb was clear that if women don’t get equal rights I cant be a part of the ministry
* If Babasaheb had served in government for a longer time, he could have done 60 years before what I did today
* Babasaheb could never see anyone remain deprived/backward, not only Dalits but also women of Tata-Birla families. Look at his vision
* Babasaheb was the voice of the marginalised. He is a Vishwa Manav. Only talking about him with respect to India is injustice to him. We should see him in the same light as the world sees Martin Luther King.
* 26, Alipur Road will be an iconic building of Delhi and for us it will be a source of inspiration