Follow Us:
Wednesday, July 18, 2018

7/11 Mumbai train blasts: Convicts’ families to hold symposium

The families of the convicts have formed a group called “Innocents Network” which, in association with various human rights organisations, has organised the symposium.

Written by ZEESHAN SHAIKH | Mumbai | Updated: July 22, 2016 5:13:36 pm
 mumbai, mumbai blast, mumbai train blast convicts, mumbai train blast, 7/11 train blast, july 7 train blast, july train blast, symposium, family meeting, indian express news, mumbai news A Mumbai Special Court in October last year had sentenced five persons to death and given life terms to seven others for their role in the July 11, 2006 serial blasts on Mumbai local trains that left 189 dead and hundreds injured.

ON the eve of the anniversary of the serial blasts on Mumbai’s suburban local trains on July 11, 2006, a symposium will be organised by the families of those convicted in the case. The symposium titled “Seeking Justice in the 7/11 case” will be held on July 10 at the Marathi Patrakar Sangh. It will be addressed by film director Mahesh Bhatt, former Bombay High Court Judge Suresh Hosbet, Former High Court Justice B G Kolse-Patil, Human Rights lawyer Nandita Haksar, former IPS officer S M Mushrif and Maharashtra MLC Kapil Patil.

The families of the convicts have formed a group called “Innocents Network” which, in association with various human rights organisations, has organised the symposium.

A Mumbai Special Court in October last year had sentenced five persons to death and given life terms to seven others for their role in the July 11, 2006 serial blasts on Mumbai local trains that left 189 dead and hundreds injured.

Watch Video: What’s making news

“It is a small attempt on our part to make citizens of the country realize the glaring omissions made by agencies while investigating the case,” Khalid Ansari, the convener of the group said. Ansari’s younger brother Sajid Ansari has been given a life sentence in the case.

The symposium is one of the first pubic awareness programmes that the group has decided to launch across the country. “We do not want to start a campaign at the last moment when these boys find themselves facing the gallows. They have been convicted but there are such glaring loopholes in the way this case was investigated,” Attaur Rahman whose three sons were accused of having been involved in the blast said. One son Mohammad Faisal has been given the death sentence and another, Muzammil, life term. Another son is on the run.

Read | 7/11 Mumbai train blasts: 5 convicts get death, life for 7 others

Read | Chronology of 7/11 train blasts case

Read  | Mumbai 7/11 train blasts: Charges of the 5 men who got death sentence

Share This Article
Share
Related Article

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement