A 26-year-old woman allegedly committed suicide after being harassed by her husband and in-laws for giving birth to daughters in Katyachiwadai village of Murbad taluka in Thane, police said on Thursday.
Ranjana Kashinath Thombre took the extreme step by jumping in a well yesterday on account of alleged torture and frequent harassment by her husband and in-laws over dowry and not being able to bear a son.
Ranjana was married to Kashinath Bhau Thombre and the couple lived with their in-laws in Murbad.
- Acid attack victim who knocked on Delhi HC door gets police protection
- In Delhi for treatment, acid attack victim from Bihar seeks HC protection
- Newly-wed woman commits suicide, husband held, kin allege murder
- Surat rape-murder: Identity of victims revealed after police detain one
- Man gets life term for raping stepdaughter over eight years
- Punjab: 18 years on, HC acquits man convicted of wife’s ‘dowry death’
According to a complaint lodged last night the accused again had an altercation over the victim having three
Apparently depressed, she jumped into a well, it said. Kashinath (26), Bhagibai Bhau Thombre (58), Vasant Bhau Thombre (28) and Lata Vasant Thombre (25) were booked by Tokawade police of Murbad taluka under sections 306 (abetment to suicide), 498-A (husband or relative of husband of a woman subjecting her to cruelty) rw 34 of the IPC.
However, no arrests have been made so far.