3 years after being shot, NCC cadet dieshttps://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-news-india/3-years-after-being-shot-ncc-cadet-dies/

3 years after being shot, NCC cadet dies

14-yr-old Parag Ingle was shot accidentally by his teacher at firearms training

teacher shot student, student shot dies, teacher shoots student, NCC cadet, ncc teacher shoots student, pune news, mahatashtra news, india news, crime news
Parag Ingle was shot accidentally by his teacher at firearms training

ON February 1, 2013, 14-year-old Parag Ingle was shot in the head accidentally by his teacher, Amod Ghanekar, during their firearms practice session of the National Cadet Corps. Ingle was in coma since then and breathed his last after almost three years on Thursday afternoon at the Command Hospital, where he was being treated.

Even in this situation of extreme grief, his father Devendra, who works with the Pune Municipal Corporation, said that he will continue fighting for a thorough probe by the CBI or CID.

On the morning of February 1, 2013, cadets from Loyola High School in Pashan had gone to the NCC Group headquarters on Senapati Bapat Road for firing practice. They were accompanied by their 27-year-old instructor Ghanekar. After all the students from Parag’s group finished their rounds, the cadets took a lunch break.

The chargesheet filed by the Deccan Gymkhana police three months after the incident, had stated that during this break, out of the 600 bullets allotted to the group, some still remained unfired. So Ghanekar decided to utilise those and asked the cadets to fire a few more rounds.


The chargesheet had further said that Ghanekar was a trained NCC officer, who had failed to abide by the set guidelines of firing practice and fired while standing behind the students. Just as Ghanekar fired his 0.22 calibre rifle, Parag who was lying flat on the ground, suddenly got up and took the bullet on his head. He was rushed to Command Hospital where he underwent surgery. He had been in coma ever since.

Speaking to The Indian Express Devendra said: “Parag breathed his last at 2.30 pm today. His battle for life has ended. I have been fighting for a thorough probe by the CBI or CID, as I feel that he (Ghanekar) has been charged with weaker law sections. His offence is much more serious than that. I will continue the fight for justice.”

Command Hospital authorities said that Parag’s condition had deteriorated in the last two days and he was put on life support. He passed away Thursday afternoon. The body has been sent to Armed Forces Medical College mortuary, where autopsy will be conducted on Friday. Parag is survived by his father, mother and elder brother.

Ghanekar was arrested under Section 308 of the Indian Penal Code for attempt to commit culpable homicide, for which the maximum punishment is seven years. He was subsequently released on bail after a few days and the trial in the case is still on.