Twenty-four people have been arrested for allegedly stripping and tying a 26-year-old woman and her lover to a tree in Udaipur, police said on Monday.
The incident had come to light when the disturbing pictures of the incident were posted on social media.
“A total of 24 people allegedly involved in the incident have been arrested,” an official said.
The woman, a resident of Kasotia village in the tribal area, was in a live-in relationship with Lalu Ram, a resident of Khodi Pipli Tekan village.
- Child lifting suspicion: Mentally unstable man lynched, body dumped in well in Madhya Pradesh
- Rajasthan man lynched over alleged affair with married woman
- Three held for assaulting woman after tying her to tree in Rajasthan
- Rajasthan: Three held for assaulting woman after tying her to a tree, video goes viral
- Jalgaon Dalit boys recount horror: We ran, they stripped, beat us with belt
- Bihar: Man tied to tree, wife ‘gangraped’ in Gaya
The duo were taken hostage allegedly by the woman’s husband Bhanwar Lal and locals on June 20 near Bhatevar village. They later took them to Kasotia village where the accused stripped and tied them to a tree for two days besides clicking their pictures which went viral on WhatsApp, they said.
The accused also took hostage six persons, including the mother and two brothers of the woman, who had gone to the villagers to rescue the woman, police had said.
Last week 14 people were arrested in connection with the incident, while a police constable and local patwari suspended for not reporting it to senior authorities, Superintendent of Police, Rajendra Prasad Goyal had said.