A Special NIA court on Tuesday rejected the bail application of 2008 Malegaon blast case accused Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, who had been given a clean chit by the National Investigation Agency (NIA) last month.
The court has said that prima facie and MCOCA cannot be dropped against Sadhvi Pragya Thakur, said Wahab Khan, victim’s relative lawyer.
The NIA had earlier said charges against her are not maintainable, giving its no objection to her bail plea.
Meanwhile, family of Sadhvi Pragya Singh have said they will approach high court against the Special NIA Court order.
On September 29, 2008, a blast ripped through Malegaon that killed six people and injured 101 others. In October 2008, the ATS, under joint commissioner of police Hemant Karkare (who died in the 26/11 attacks a month later), for the first time unraveled a conspiracy by right-wing Hindu groups to spread terror in the country.
The agency first arrested Sadhvi Pragya Singh Thakur, a former ABVP activist. This was followed by arrests of army officer Lt Col Shrikant Prasad Purohit and retired Major Ramesh Upadhyay.
The role of the right-wing outfit Abhinav Bharat, along with that of self-proclaimed Hindu seer Sudhakar Dwivedi, also came to light.