Muslims who were discharged from all terror charges in the 2006 Malegaon bomb blast case narrated their horrifying experiences in Pune during a programme organised by Republican Yuva Morcha and Kul Jamaat E Tanzeem on Saturday.
Last week, a court had discharged nine Muslims in the case.
- R&AW hand Subodh Jaiswal is Maharashtra police chief
- Why legal face of Muslim terror accused can’t face verdict day
- Meanwhile, other Malegaon verdict puts question mark on key terror cases
- Malegaon blasts case: SP MLA seeks action against ATS officers
- Malegaon blasts: ATS says it has evidence against 9 Muslim men
- ATS told Malegaon suspect to take names,offered property
Three of them — Noor ul Hooda, Raees Ahmed and Dr Farooq Makdumi — shared their experiences of how they were falsely implicated allegedly by the state’s Anti-Terrorism Squad (ATS).
“At first, I was wrongfully arrested by Nashik police in 2001. Police were looking for a person named Noor, but they arrested me only because I was having similar name. Later, they branded me as an operative of the Student’s Islamic Movement of India (SIMI),” said Noor.
“Then, after bombs exploded in Masjid in Malegaon in 2006, two policemen came to me. They took me with them saying I would be released after an inquiry for 10 minutes. But I returned after 10 years. I kept saying I am innocent, I am not a terrorist, I have nothing to do with the bomb blast. But a police officer told me they were implicating me in this because I was an extremist as I wore skull cap and beard and offered namaz five times a day. I was tortured for 48 days. ATS officials said they knew I am not capable of making bombs and carrying our bomb blasts, still they would be implicating me,” he said.
“Things remained same even after the investigation was handed over to the CBI. Thankfully, the prayers by those who loved us and the efforts taken by our lawyers and supporters yielded good results. The National Investigation Agency (NIA) gave us clean chit. We were discharged,” said Noor.
Raees and Makdumi too shared their similar experiences.
Meanwhile, chief guest of the programme, retired high court judge B G Kolse Patil, retired inspector general of police S M Mushrif, advocate M M Sayyad, Ramesh Rakse, Anjum Inamdar and others also spoke on the occasion.
WATCH INDIAN EXPRESS VIDEOS HERE
Speakers demanded action against the investigation team who falsely arrested the innocent Muslims in Malegaon blast case and sought compensation for these Muslims and their families.