THE SPECIAL TADA court Monday severely reprimanded two undertrials in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, directing that they not be brought to court until further orders. Gangster Mustafa Dossa, Abdul Qayyum and Riyaz Siddiqui had come to the court for the trial, but had been absent from the courtroom for a long time.
Special Judge GA Sanap, who is hearing the final arguments in the blasts case, inquired with the police in-charge of the escort party regarding their whereabouts. On not getting a satisfactory response, the judge passed an order to not produce Dossa and Qayyum before him for further hearings.
“It is noticed that accused Dossa and Qayyum are not sitting in the court. Riyaz was also not found in court but in his case, it has happened today. Today, I found that the two were not sitting in the court for almost 70-80 minutes,” the judge said.
He further said, “The matter is at the stage of argument. For argument, presence of accused is not necessary. Dossa and Qayyum will not be produced till further orders. They will be produced if required via video-conferencing through the jail.”
The Judge asked the other accused to take note, adding that he had been observing that some of the accused do not attend court proceedings despite their own arguments being heard. The court has also sought a written reply from the escort in-charge.
Some of the accused in the 1993 blasts were absconding during the first set of the trials, during which Yakub Memon and Sanjay Dutt, among others, were tried. Gangster Abu Salem, Firoz Khan, Taher Merchant, Siddiqui, Dossa and Qayyum feature in the second part of the trial, which has reached its fag end.