Updated: September 14, 2019 10:09:10 am
Assam NRC Final List 2019: The status of every individual of a family in the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) can be seen online from Saturday. On August 31, the final National Register of Citizens (NRC) — a list of certified Indian citizens in Assam was published, four years after the implementation began.
The final list of the updated National Register of Citizens(NRC) in Assam left out over 19 lakh people, almost half of the 40 lakh people excluded in the final draft published last year. Out of 3.3 crore applicants, a total of 3,11,21,004 persons were found eligible for inclusion in the final NRC.
The NRC sets the cut-off date to be a legal Indian citizen as March 24, 1971 — a date formalised by the Assam Accord, which was signed by the All Assam Students Union, Assam government and Central government in 1985. To be included in the NRC, one needs to prove with documentary evidence that one or one’s ancestors had entered the country before the cut-off date.
At least 3.29 crore people applied for the NRC — on July 30, 2018, the final draft excluded the names of 40.37 applicants. In the months that followed, 36.2 lakh filed claims for inclusion.
On June 26, 2019, another draft “Exclusion list” was published with an additional 1.03 lakh names — those who the authorities claimed were erroneously included earlier.
On August 31, the final NRC — sealing the fate over 40 lakh people — will be published. The Ministry of Home Affairs has clarified that the non-inclusion of a name does not mean that the person becomes a “foreigner” immediately, nor will he/she be detained. The person then has the right to contest the exclusion and fight their cases in foreigners’ tribunals.
This is how one can check their names on the final NRC:
One can physically visit:
The respective NRC Seva Kendra/ Office of Circle Officer/ Officer of Deputy Commissioner and check their names on the Supplementary Inclusions List. The list will be viewable between 10am to 4pm on all working days.
Look for a link that says: “Supplementary Inclusions/Exclusions Lists (Final NRC) status”. Type in the Application Reference Number (ARN).
The above applies to:
* names that were not on the July 30, 2018 draft list
* names that were on the June 2019 Exclusion List
* names that had any objection filed against their inclusion
* names that were on the July 30, 2018 draft list but were called for hearings after July 5, 2019.
Those who need not check their inclusion status:
* names that were on the final NRC draft list of July 20, 2018
* names that were not on the June 2019 Exclusion List
* those who were not called for any hearings post July 5, 2019
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.