Home Minister Rajnath Singh on Thursday said all tourists stranded on Havelock Island are safe, and that the government has made all required arrangements to evacuate them.
In tweets this morning, Singh said the government will launch rescue operations in Havelock as soon as the intensity of the cyclone reduces. He added the rescue team had already reached Port Blair and were set to start the evacuation process.
WATCH VIDEO | Home Minister Rajnath Singh Assures Safety Of All Tourists Stranded On Havelock Island
The Home Minister’s statement comes after nearly 1,500 tourists were stranded at two famous tourist destinations in Andaman and Nicobar Islands, namely Neil and Havelock, on Wednesday. Navy ships were deployed for the evacuation of the stranded people, but they continue to remain anchored near Havelock Island due to the high intensity of the cyclone.