scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Monday, October 18, 2021

Governor C Vidyasagar Rao signs Maratha reservation bill

The Maratha reservation of 16 per cent will take the total to 68 per cent.

By: Express News Service | Mumbai |
Updated: December 1, 2018 7:30:06 am
Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao signs the Maratha bill after the state assembly unanimously passed the bill on Thursday. (Express Photo By-Ganesh Shirsekar)

Maharashtra Governor C Vidyasagar Rao on Friday signed the Maratha reservation bill, which was passed unanimously by the state legislative assembly and council, thus paving the way forward for the government to enforce 16 per cent reservation to the Maratha.

Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis on Thursday had tabled the bill. Last month, in a public meeting, he had said, “ There is no need for Maratha community to protest. Instead, they should get ready for celebrations on December 1.”

In an official statement, BJP said, “Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis has not only made promise to Marathas but also fulfilled it in a record time.”

The Marathas will be given the 16 per cent reservation in government jobs and educational institutions under the newly created independent and separate category – Socially and Educationally Backward Class (SEBC).

At present, the reservation in the state is 52 per cent. The Maratha reservation of 16 per cent will take the total to 68 per cent.

📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement