From creating 13,500 WhatsApp groups to gathering information on around 3 crore beneficiaries of government schemes, from meeting all district community leaders to the booth-wise verification of voters, the BJP has detailed a 109-point public outreach programme for Uttar Pradesh before the Lok Sabha polls scheduled for 2019.
Conscious of the political realignment in UP, the BJP has planned events and programmes up to February 28, 2019, under the overarching slogan: “Fir ek bar, Modi Sarkar”. The detailed plan comes in the backdrop of a string of electoral setbacks for the BJP, particularly the three bypolls in Gorakhpur, Phulpur, and Kairana earlier this year after the party’s political adversaries, the SP, BSP and RLD joined hands.
UP holds particular significance for BJP’s re-election bid in 2019 given the state’s 80 Lok Sabha seats. In 2014, the party had won 71 seats, and its ally Apna Dal had won two. Then, the opposition SP and BSP in the state had contested the polls separately.
Under the detailed plan for UP, specific programs and tasks have been assigned to state, district, assembly, sector, and booth units for each of the BJP’s seven front organisations — women, youth, OBC, SC, ST, farmers, and minorities — along with separate assignments for the 17 different cells that include IT, cooperatives, teachers, lawyers and ex-servicemen.
The process was set in motion in August this year and is expected to be completed by the end of February 2019, just before the LS polls. So far, the party’s plan has focussed on training and streamlining the organisation and the grassroots public outreach work will begin after Diwali with booth committee meetings.
Sources said that the BJP has already estimated the strength of the SP-BSP alliance by identifying polling booths where the combined votes secured by the SP and BSP in last two Lok Sabha and Assembly elections were more than that of the BJP’s.
Around1.63 lakh booths in all the 80 Lok Sabha constituencies have been divided into four categories — A, B, C and D. The party considers A-category booths safe because it has always won there, and in B-category booths, the BJP has won most of the time. C-category booths are where the BJP has rarely won and in D-category booths, the party has never won.
The BJP plan also includes the appointment of ‘vikas dhoots’ (messengers of development). According to the plan, the party will draw up a list of beneficiaries of government schemes at the booth level and one party worker?who is beneficiary of such schemes – will be appointed the vikas dhoot.
How the plan will unfold:
* November: The BJP will hold meetings of all 403 assembly segment coordination committees. Kamal Sandesh bike rallies will be organised in all 80 Lok Sabha constituencies on November 17 when workers will use the slogan, “2019 me phir ek baar Modi sarkar”.
Chaupals and sammelans with farmers in rural areas to thank the Narendra Modi government for hiking the Minimum Support Price (MSP) on crops. After Diwali, the party’s youth wing will launch two campaigns — debates on ‘one nation-one election’ and selfie with beneficiaries of the government schemes. Photographs will be posted on the party’s website and circulated on social media.
* December: A padyatra from December 1 to 15 in all assembly segment where leaders will travel while holding the Tricolour. A ‘man-to-man connectivity’ campaign to contact beneficiaries of government schemes and programmes on Kisan Diwas on December 23, Mahila Sushashan Diwas on December 25.
* January: Samvad Kisan Jagrukta Abhiyan in 360 rural assembly segments.
* February: Kamal Vikas Jyoti Maha-abhiyan with beneficiaries of government schemes on January 26 by lighting lamps at their homes, fireside chats with farmers and mass outreach programmes during the Kumbh mela.
* Booth committees and leaders in charge of Lok Sabha constituencies have been asked to coordinate with affiliates of the RSS. They will also contact the heads and priests of maths, temples and ashrams.
* A campaign by the Scheduled Castes wing to reach out to Buddha Vihar, Kabir Math, Ravidas Mandir and other maths.
* Sammelans of lawyers of the Allahabad High Court and its Lucknow bench and conferences with weavers.
* Nukkad plays to highlight the government’s achievements, and ‘medical cell’ to hold free medical check-up camps and special programmes in eastern UP to prevent water-borne diseases.