At least 30 people are dead and more than 250 injured in the Panchkula violence that followed after a special CBI court convicted Dera chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh of rape in a 2002 case. More than 50 private and government vehicles were torched as police fired several rounds of tear gas to quell the protesting supporters of the self-styled godman. Dera Sacha Sauda later described the verdict against Ram Rahim Singh as “unjust” saying it would appeal against it. Meanwhile, Z-category security is likely to be withdrawn from Dera chief after his arrest. Ram Rahim Singh was accused of raping two ‘sadhvis’ (female followers), in 2002 and the case came to trial in 2008. He has denied all charges against him. The court complex, where the verdict was announced, was protected by three layers of security, with 150 personnel of Haryana Police and paramilitary forces guarding it over a radius of 200 meters. The Punjab and Haryana High Court in the 4 pm hearing of the case, said they shall attach all the properties owned by Dera Sacha Sauda because the they had given an undertaking in the court that its followers shall not damage any public or private properties and will not disrupt peace.
Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh convicted in rape case: Here are the top developments
1. 30 people dead in Panchkula violence, more than 250 injured.
2. Z-category security to be withdrawn following Gurmeet Ram Rahim’s conviction and arrest.
3. Police say prohibitory orders implemented in 11 Delhi districts, to be in force till Sept 8.
4. Instances of violence today are deeply distressing. Strongly condemn violence & urge everyone to maintain peace, tweets PM Modi
5. Urged officials to work round the clock to restore normalcy and provide all possible assistance that is required, tweets PM
6. Two empty rakes of Rewa Express at Anand Vihar Terminal railway station set on fire: Northern Railway Spokesperson Neeraj Sharma
7. Dera Sacha Sauda later described the verdict against Ram Rahim Singh as “unjust” saying it would appeal against it.
8. Delhi L-G Anil Baijal directs police commissioner to take effective measures to ensure protection of life, property.
9. Six columns of Army deployed in Panchkula for aid to civil authorities.
10. Delhi Metro stations alerted. Vigil intensified at stations along UP, Haryana borders: CISF DG O P Singh.
11. Section 144 imposed in Uttar Pradesh’s Muzaffarnagar and Baghpat, in view of violent protests in Punjab and Haryana
12. Congress president Sonia Gandhi expresses grave concern over violence in Panchkula, other parts; appeals for peace.
13. Delhi was today put on high alert in the wake of incidents of violence in Haryana following the conviction of Dera Sacha Sauda sect chief Gurmeet Ram Rahim Singh in a rape case, police said today. A senior police officer said that even though there have been no specific inputs of Dera followers planning to create trouble here, security has been beefed up in the national capital as a precautionary measure.
14. Delhi CM Arvind Kejriwal urges people to maintain peace after violence in Haryana and Punjab following conviction of Gurmeet Ram Rahim.
15. Security at Delhi BJP HQ increased post violence at various places.
15. Security tightened at railway stations in Delhi post rape conviction of Dera Chief Ram Rahim Singh: Northern Railway Spokesperson Neeraj Sharma
— ANI (@ANI) August 25, 2017
16. Punjab and Haryana High Court gives directions to state and union government. Withdraw Haryana police security and give paramilitary security cover to all the judges and Magistrates of Panchkula.
17. Just briefed Rajnath Singh ji about situation in Punjab. Keeping a close watch. Would not allow anyone to disturb peace in Punjab: Punjab CM
18. Punjab and Haryana High Court in the 4 pm hearing of the case, said they shall attach all the properties owned by Dera Sacha Sauda because the dera had given an undertaking in the court that its followers shall not damage any public or private properties and will not disrupt peace.
19. “An alert has been sounded in Uttar Pradesh, especially in the districts bordering Haryana and Delhi. A strict watch is being kept at the border. No individual or group would be allowed to foment trouble in Uttar Pradesh,” Additional Director General of Police (law-and-order) Anand Kumar said.
20. Central Industrial Security Force personnel deployed within 1 km radius of Rohtak’s Sunariya Jail.
21. More than 50 private and government vehicles torched in Panchkula. Several injured, gunshots being fired.
22. Agitated mob barge into the government buildings in Sector 2 and 5 of Panchkula, vandalise the buildings, trying to set them on fire.
23. Curfew imposed in Punjab’s Bathinda, Mansa, Ferozepur, Muktsar, Malout, Budhlada
24. Alert sounded in adjoining districts to ensure no spillover of trouble in UP through strict check on borders- ADG Law & Order
25. Three persons have been taken to hospital in ambulances…. All three were found lying motionless.
26. Heavy force deployment in Sirsa as crowds turn violent, Rapid Action Force (RAF) also reaches Haryana.
27. 10 injured in violent protests, shifted to a hospital in Sector 6 Panchkula, reports ANI.
28. Panchkula’s Special CBI Court finds Dera Chief Ram Rahim Singh guilty of rape.
29. Quantum of sentence to be announced on August 28.
30. Army vehicles entered the court complex shortly after the verdict was pronounced.
29. Dera Sacha Sauda chief taken into custody by Haryana police after being convicted in rape case.
30. Ram Rahim Singh will likely be taken to Ambala jail. Meanwhile, Dera followers are gathered at one spot and are observing silence after the verdict.
31. Violence expected in many parts of Haryana, including in Panchkula
32. CBI counsel says Ram Rahim Singh held guilty on charges of rape (Section 376 IPC) and criminal intimidation (section 506 IPC).
33. Ram Rahim Singh medical examination conducted inside the court’s complex in Panchkula.
34. Clashes reported from Panchkula, tear gas shells fired.
35. Everything is perfectly under control, let us not sensationalize unnecessarily: IGP Amitabh Singh Dhillon
36. Media attacked in Panchkula, OB vans, police vehicles smashed, overturned.
37. Police fired tear gas, gun shots in air.
38. Violence erupts in Punjab too.
39. I appeal to all Punjabis to maintain peace & harmony in state. Won’t allow anyone to disturb peace & tranquility: Punjab CM
40. Malout Railway Station & petrol pump set on fire by protesters in Punjab post Ram Rahim verdict, similar incidents also reported in Bathinda, reports ANI.
41. Police lob teargas shells and fire in the air to control restive Dera supporters after court verdict.