Post encounter,every bid to file complaint blocked

CBI believes BJP leader Rathore stalled complaints for months,even stopped a stir against him in Churu

Written by Apurva | Jaipur | Published: April 6, 2012 10:03:19 pm

The Dara Singh conspiracy did not end with the fake encounter on October 23,2006,but continued for weeks afterwards,the CBI believes.

Sources in the agency said that they had evidence to show that former cabinet minister and BJP leader Rajendra Singh Rathore,who was arrested on Thursday,not only planned the incident,but stalled every attempt by Singh’s family to register a complaint.

Senior CBI officials said that Rathore,along with Additional Director General of police (ADG) A K Jain,presently in judicial custody,‘’stalled every effort on the part of the family of the deceased to register a case.”

“When there were signs of an agitation against him in Churu,Rathore took every step to dissipate this agitation and also tried to ensure that Singh’s widow,Sushila Devi,was not able to approach the judiciary,” said an official. He added that Rathore threatened the agitators with “dire consequences.”

The CBI also believe that Rathore continued his “damage-control” efforts for months after Singh was killed in the encounter. Sources in the CBI said the chargesheet against Rathore filed on Thursday also stated Rathore forced people to “abide by his diktats by giving examples of the fake encounter.”

Sources in the CBI also said that Sushila Devi had even petitioned the then BJP government to probe the incident. “The petition went to A K Jain who sat on it for weeks. Also,call records show that Jain and Rathore were regularly in touch with each other after the encounter,possibly to control the situation,” the official said.

The CBI chargesheet also includes oral,documentary and digital evidence against Rathore. The CBI cites call records between Jain and Rathore in the days preceding the encounter and most importantly,on the day of it,as well. “Call records clearly indicate that Jain was in touch with the Special Operations Group (SOG) throughout the encounter and Rathore was in contact with him all along. Records also show communication between them at the most crucial time of the incident as well,” the official said.

While the preliminary chargesheet against Jain and 15 other police personnel was filed in June 2011,Rathore’s arrest and chargesheet came almost a year later. CBI officials said they moved to arrest Rathore only after gathering enough evidence.

Start your day the best way
with the Express Morning Briefing

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App