Following is the chronology of events in the Jessica Lall murder case:
* April 29-30 1999: Jessica shot at a party in Qutub Colonnade restaurant in south Delhi.
* April 30,1999: Doctors at Apollo Hospital declare Jessica brought dead.
* May 2,1999: Delhi Police recovers Tata Safari car belonging to Manu Sharma,son of Haryana Congress leader Venod Sharma,from Noida,Uttar Pradesh.
*May 6,1999: Manu surrenders before a court in Chandigarh. Subsequently,ten other co-accused including Vikas Yadav,son of UP politician D P Yadav,arrested.
*August 3,1999: Chargesheet filed against accused for killing Jessica under various sections of IPC.
*January 31,2000: Magistrate court commits the case to a Sessions court for trial.
*November 23,2000: Sessions court frames charges for murder against nine persons and discharges one accused Amit Jhingan while declaring Ravinder Sudan alias Titu as proclaimed offender.
*May 2,2001: Court starts recording of prosecution evidence. Deepak Bhojwani,an eye witness deposes before the trial court.
*May 3,2001: Complainant and eye witness Shyan Munshi turns hostile and fails to identify Manu in court.
* May 5,2001: Another eye witness Shiv Das,an electrician at Qutub Colonnade,turns hostile.
* May 16,2001: Third key witness Karan Rajput turns hostile.
* July 6,2001: Malini Ramani,eyewitness,identifies Manu.
* October 12,2001: Socialite Bina Ramani,owner of the restaurant and bar,identifies Manu.
* October 17,2001: George Mailhot,Ramani’s Canadian husband,deposes and identifies Manu.
* July 20,2004: Surinder Sharma,controversial investigating officer in the case,deposes after returning from UN assignment in Kosovo.
* February 21,2006: Trial court acquits all nine accused due to lack of evidence against them.
* March 13,2006: Delhi Police file appeal in the high court.
* October 3,2006: High Court begins hearing on appeal on a day-to-day basis.
* November 29,2006: High Court reserves its verdict.
* December 18,2006: High Court convicts Manu,Vikas Yadav and Amardeep Singh Gill alias Tony and acquits Aloke Khanna,Vikas Gill,Harvinder Singh Chopra,Raja Chopra,Shyam Sunder Sharma and Yograj Singh.
* December 20,2006: High Court awards life imprisonment term to main convict Manu Sharma with a fine of Rs 50,000 and also sentences co-convicts Amardeep Singh Gill and Vikas Yadav to four years’ prison term with Rs 3,000 fine each.
* February 2,2007: Manu Sharma appeals in the Supreme Court.
* March 8,2007: Supreme Court admits Manu Sharma’s appeal.
* November 27,2007: Supreme Court rejects Manu Sharma’s bail plea.
* May 12,2008: Supreme Court again rejects Manu Sharma’s bail plea.
* January 19,2010: Supreme Court commences hearing on Manu Sharma’s appeal.
* February 18,2010: Supreme Court reserves verdict on the appeal of Manu Sharma.
* Apr 19,2010: Supreme Court upholds conviction and life term of Manu.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines