Sunday, Oct 02, 2022

Five of family hacked to death in Mizoram

Neighbours caught the accused before policemen arrived and took him into custody.

Five members of a family, including a six-year-old boy, were hacked to death by a man known to them in Aizawl on Friday evening, police said.

Neighbours caught the accused before policemen arrived and took him into custody inside a nearby house for his protection. In the meantime, a mob gathered outside the house and began clashing with policemen, pelting stones and attempting to break walls and windows. It took about seven hours for the crowd to disperse.

According to an eyewitness, the accused, Laltlanchhuaha, entered the house of Sangliansiama around 7.30 pm and hacked the 57-year-old to death with a knife after an argument. The family’s domestic help said she tried to help Sangliansiama when Laltlanchhuaha turned on her. But she managed to lock herself in the bathroom.

What followed remains sketchy, but Laltlanchhuaha appeared to have turned on the other members of Sangliansiama’s family, hacking his wife Khualthangi (57), their adopted son Isaac Lalrinnunga (6) and their relatives Vanlalchhungi (54) and Samuel Lalrinchhana (14), who were staying with them at the time.

Subscriber Only Stories
From The Explained editor: The ban on PFI, forests at night, and free gra...Premium
From the Opinion Editor: An election for the Congress partyPremium
From Nehru to JP, the political leaders mentored by GandhiPremium
Uttarakhand resort murder: Amid questions within, BJP may revamp Dhami go...Premium

In a bid to escape, Laltlanchhuaha reportedly jumped off the building’s balcony and landed on the roof of a shack below, injuring himself. He was then apprehended by residents of a hostel nearby and handed over to the police.
As the news of the murders spread through social media, a crowd gathered at the scene, demanding that the accused be handed over to them and clashing with policemen and local leaders.

Miscreants pelted stones at the house and broke walls and windows, leading to a scuffle which lasted from 9 pm to 3 am. “Whoever heard about it first just scrambled towards the crime scene,” said a senior police officer who arrived in civilian clothes and faced the mob with a crash-helmet. Another officer said the police refrained from using any force against the mob because they feared the situation would get out of control.

The stand-off continued till news broke that the police had slipped past the crowd with the accused at about 3 am.

First published on: 11-01-2015 at 03:08:40 am
Next Story

Around town

Latest Comment
Post Comment
Read Comments