1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict Yakub Memon is likely to be hanged on July 30 if his curative petition for mercy is rejected by the Supreme Court on July 21. This will be the first execution related to the 1993 serial blasts, in which over 250 people were killed.
Confirming the development, sources from the Home Ministry have said that the tentative date is July 30. The ministry is awaiting the curative petition hearing in the Supreme court, the source said.
The Maharashtra Government has initiated proceedings for his hanging and has informed the Nagpur Jail authorities were Memon is being held to prepare for his final walk to the gallows.
“We have been following the Supreme Courts Directives in this regard. All actions being taken are as per the rules laid down by the SC,” Maharashtra Chief Minister Devendra Fadnavis said.
In March last year, the SC had confirmed the death sentence awarded to Memon by a Terrorist and Disruptive Activities (prevention) Act court, holding him guilty of being the “driving spirit” behind the blasts that killed 257 people and over 700 others injured , while commuting the death sentence awarded to 10 others to life imprisonment till their death.
A three-judge bench led by Justice Anil R Dave dismissed the review petition by Memon after holding there was no ground to interfere with the judgement to hand out capital punishment to him. Memon’s only legal remedy, a curative petition against this judgement is pending before the Supreme Court and will be heard on July 21.
The CBI had claimed that Memon was arrested from Delhi. However, the family claims that he had willingly returned and turned himself in.
There have discordant notes int he legal circle about giving the death penalty to an individual who had turned himself in.
President Pranab Mukherjee had in April rejected Memon’s mercy petition of Memon and the decision was left to the Maharashtra government for fixing the execution date.