Rejecting the application of an accused who was claiming to be a juvenile, the Pathankot District and Sessions Court in the Kathua gangrape and murder trial on Thursday declared him an adult after taking into consideration a medical board report which had earlier found him to be more than 20 years old.
Accused Parvesh Kumar, who is facing charges of attempt to rape and other offences, had claimed to be a juvenile and produced his matriculation certificate to support his claim. While the certificate recorded the age of the accused as nearly one month short of 18 years at the time of crime, the Pathankot Court in June had ordered setting up of a medical board at Jammu for bone ossification test to determine his age.
The medical board in its report submitted earlier this week had said that the accused is 20-21 years old. After conclusion of arguments on Parvesh’s application on Thursday, the court ordered that the accused will be treated as an adult. The court is learnt to have taken into consideration the medical board report as well the physical appearance of the accused.
The defence counsel challenged the trial court order for a bone ossification test of the accused on June 12. The plea against the trial court order is listed before the Punjab and Haryana High Court on July 10. However, the High Court has issued a notice to the J&K government regarding maintainability of the plea.
Meanwhile, the examination of the complainant in the case continued on Thursday. The examination-in-chief of the witness concluded on Thursday and the cross-examination will continue on Friday, sources said.
There are eight accused in the case and seven of them are facing trial at the Sessions Court. The Supreme Court has ordered a day-to-day in-camera trial of the case. A juvenile in the case is facing a separate trial.