Updated: January 27, 2022 6:52:17 pm
THE ARUNACHAL youth who was captured by China’s People’s Liberation Army (PLA) when he strayed across the border has returned. Union minister and BJP Arunachal Pradesh leader Kiren Rijiju announced that Miram Taron had been handed over to the Indian Army.
Rijiju tweeted saying, “The Chinese PLA has handed over the young boy from Arunachal Pradesh Shri Miram Taron to Indian Army. Due procedures are being followed including the medical examination.”
The Chinese PLA has handed over the young boy from Arunachal Pradesh Shri Miram Taron to Indian Army. Due procedures are being followed including the medical examination. https://t.co/xErrEnix2h
— Kiren Rijiju (@KirenRijiju) January 27, 2022
Taron was handed over at the Wacha-Damai interaction point in the Kibithu sector around 10.30 am. “I thank our proud Indian Army for pursuing the case meticulously with PLA and safely securing our young boy back home,” Rijiju tweeted.
On Wednesday, Rijiju said that India had received confirmation from the PLA that Taron will be repatriated, and that they would disclose the exact place and time.
Taron had gone missing on January 18, and his case became known after BJP Arunachal MP Tapir Gao raised the matter, alleging that he had been abducted by the PLA from inside Indian territory.
Rijiju had clarified Wednesday that the PLA had found Taron on the Chinese side, and that it was due to bad weather that his return had got delayed.
Global Times, a newspaper affiliated to the Chinese government, quoted the PLA’s Western Theatre Commander saying Thursday that “after providing humanitarian aid, Chinese border defense troops turned over” an Indian citizen.
Rijiju had assured earlier that the government was taking all possible steps to ensure Taron’s return. “Since the individual was missing from an area close to the LAC (Line of Actual Control), the Indian Army immediately approached the Chinese side on January 19 asking for assistance in tracing and return of the individual, in case he had strayed into the Chinese territory or the PLA had taken him in their custody,” the minister said, adding that the Chinese side had assured all help as per established protocol.
Rijiju had also urged everyone to be cautious in their statements. “The safety and safe return of our young Arunachal Pradesh youth is the priority,” he tweeted.
On January 20, China had intimated finding a youth and requested for details to establish his identity.
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.