Follow Us:
Saturday, December 07, 2019

Grenade attack in Jammu leaves teen dead, 32 injured

CCTV recordings lead to arrest, police say Hizbul Mujahideen ordered strike

Written by Arun Sharma | Jammu | Updated: March 8, 2019 5:08:52 am
A policeman stands guard at the site of a grenade blast in Jammu March 7, 2019. REUTERS/Mukesh Gupta

On the edge ever since the border flare-up, Jammu was rocked Thursday by a grenade explosion that left a teenager dead and at least 32 injured at the crowded general bus stand in the heart of the city. Within hours, police arrested a man who they said had been tasked by the Hizbul Mujahideen to carry out the attack.

This was the third grenade attack at the Jammu bus stand since May 2018. The 17-year-old boy who died in the attack around noon was identified as Mohammad Sharik, son of Intijar Ahmed of Haridwar. Officials said the boy worked in Jammu as a labour hand. Most of the injured were from Kashmir and the condition of three was said to be serious.

Jammu IGP M K Sinha told reporters that Yasir Javed Bhat, a resident of Khanpora-Dassein village in Kulgam, was tasked by Hizbul Mujahideen Kulgam district commander Farooq Ahmad Bhat alias Umar to carry out the attack.

He said Bhat came with the grenade to Jammu Thursday morning after he left Kulgam the previous night. He was fleeing after the attack when he was arrested by policemen at Nagrota on the outskirts of the city, Sinha said.

He was identified on the basis of eyewitness accounts and recordings of CCTV cameras
installed in the area. All police checkpoints were alerted about a man wearing a blue jacket and carrying a red rucksack.

Police sources said he was travelling in a Tavera at the time of his arrest. He had brought the grenade in a tiffin box from Kashmir, the sources said. Sources said the grenade appeared to have rolled under a bus before it exploded. Panic gripped the area as people ran for cover.

Many of the injured were people returning to their homes in the Valley. Tariq Ahmed Bhat of Qazigund was on his way home after having worked as labourer at Bajalta near Jammu for over four months. Similarly, Nissar Ahmad of Mattan, a shawl merchant, had reached Jammu from Rajasthan only half an hour before the attack.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by